- Category: Adult Programs
- Last Updated: Friday, 25 November 2016 17:02
We encourage newcomers to affirm or reaffirm their faith in Jesus Christ in worship on the Sundays of a bishop's visit at St. Peter's. This is done in one of three ways, all of which include the laying-on-of-hands and prayer by the bishop:
- "Confirmation" is for those who have never before made a mature, public affirmation of faith in Christ;
- "Reception" is for those who are being received into the Episcopal church having previously made a mature, public affirmation of faith in Christ in another denomination;
- "Reaffirmation of Baptismal Vows" is for those who have previously made a mature, public affirmation of faith in Christ in the Episcopal Church.
We make our profession of faith before the Bishop because the bishop symbolizes our membership in God's universal Church, not only in St. Peter's Church. Preparation for the Bishop's visit is done at our Exploring Your Faith classes, held before the visit (usually in the winter/spring). Watch your St. Pete's Weekly or Good News for exact dates and times.
Exploring Your Faith Courses:
- Part I – Anglican Way. You are who you hang with. Our team here at St. Peter's is part of global communion of churches 80 million strong, following Jesus in Britain and beyond since the 2nd century. We'll discuss what that means for us.
- Part II - Creed. A 4-part study on the ancient statement of faith of the Church, the Nicene Creed, exploring what we believe and how those beliefs shape our lives.
- Part III – Covenant. A 4-part study of the Baptismal covenant, which form the liturgical act of commitment to Jesus Christ and define the path of our Christian journey.